"Harees" is a staple dish in Ramadan in most homes in Kuwait. The first year I lived abroad I didn't even bother looking for the recipe because it was so intimidating to me. When I finally decided to try it out, I realized it's one of the simplest dishes I ever tried to make!
· 500g of Pearled wheat or barely (washed & soaked for at least an hour)
· 400g lamb chunks
· 1 & 1/2 Tbsp. salt
· 1 whole onion cut in half
· 1 whole tomato cut in half
· 3 Liters water (or enough to fill the cooker) excess water won't ruin the recipe
1. Using a pressure cooker add all ingredients, secure cover.
2. Turn the heat to high until the pressure builds up.
3. Then turn the heat down to low and leave to cook for an hour & a half.
4. After that, turn off the heat and let it sit until the pressure is down (be careful not to open too soon)
5. Blend using a hand blender.
6. Transfer to serving dish.
7. Top with icing sugar & cinnamon (optional)